Each week, we scour local sources to come up with the best deals for local families in and near Syosset. Here's what we found this week:
- Whether you have small children, are having a baby or have friends and family with babies, you probably know that they require a lot of "stuff" and cost a lot of money. To help lower the expenses, be sure to register to receive Buy Buy Baby's e-mail newsletter. First time e-mail subscribers will receive a certificate good for 20% off one single item, as well as exclusive mail and e-mail offers and promotions. Long Island Buy Buy Baby stores are located in Garden City and Huntington (350 Walt Whitman Road).
- , at 419 South Oyster Bay Road in Plainview, is having an unbelievable “Midnight Warehouse Sale." For three days only during special hours, all shoes and bags will be priced from $29 to $99. The sale hours are Wednesday from 930am to 9pm, Thursday from 930am to 11pm and Friday from 930am to 6pm.
- It’s been highly publicized all over the news that Borders Bookstores are going out of business. Each store is holding their own inventory reduction sale with discounts from 20% to 50% offered on all merchandise. is located at 425 Jericho Turnpike, Syosset.
- If you’re looking to have a delicious dinner and not spend a fortune, try Red Fish Grille located at 430 Woodbury Road in Plainview. They have a 3-course price fixed dinner menu Sunday through Thursday from 4pm to close and Friday from 4-6pm. Guests enjoy one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert for $24.95 per person.
- Parents of tweens and teens will not want to miss this free workshop given by Andy Lockwood, a college financial aid strategist. Mr. Lockwood will discuss myths and “insider secrets” of financial aid as well as “loopholes” buried in regulations that could help family get assistance with college tuition. The workshop will take place on Thursday, Aug. 18 at 7pm at the Oyster Bay Jewish Center (11 Temple Lane, Oyster Bay) and is free, but you must register here.
Amy Platt is a Syosset mom of two kids and the founder of LIParentSource.com, a free online magazine and e-newsletter centralizing information and resources for local families.