Each week, we scour local sources to come up with the best deals for local families.
This week, we’re talking about some great and cheap (or free!) upcoming events right in our own backyard – the . If you see a class that you are interested in, remember to call the library in advance to confirm dates, times and availability of programs. For a complete calendar of library events, visit Syosset Library’s at www.SyossetLibrary.org.
- – Thursday, July 20, 9:30am – 10:30am. Children will enjoy playing and interacting with other kids in a program that ends with story time, rhymes and finger plays. This class is for kids between 18 and 30 months old with a caregiver (children must be born between 2/1/09 and 1/31/10).
- – Fridays July 22, 29 and August 5 2:30pm – 3:15pm. Children entering grades 1 and 2 in September can participate in this program and visit the world through stories, discussions and activities centered around a different country each week.
- – Tuesday, July 25, 1pm – 215pm or 730pm – 845pm. Discuss this month’s book club selection, "The Year of Fog" by Michelle Richmond, with other residents and Readers’ Services Librarian Jill Jacobson.
- – Thursday, July 28, 7pm – 9pm. Make some noise (at the library!) with YouTube karaoke. Talented teens who like to sing are asked to pick a song or two and rock out in the theater. Performers must register their song selections in advance. No tickets are required for audience members but space is limited to teens only.
- – Friday, July 29, 2 – 4 pm. Take a break from the heat and enjoy a movie at the library.
Amy Platt is a Syosset mom of two kids and the founder of LIParentSource.com, a free online magazine and e-newsletter centralizing information and resources for local families.