Happy Friday to you, and welcome to "5 Things You Need to Know Today." Each weekday we'll be putting a little extra spotlight on some of the things that are going on in the Syosset area. While we do our best to keep up with what's going on, we can always use your help. If you don't see something that should be on the list, don't be afraid to let us know!
1. The boys basketball team starts their season tonight at 6:15 p.m. at Syosset High School where they'll t. Come out and support the team in their quest to win the conference this season! If you can't make the game, Patch will have the full story Friday night to keep you updated.
2. If you can't make the basketball game, you can head to the at 7:30 p.m. for a book signing! Author, attorney and award-winning journalist Ellen Pober Rittberg will discuss parenting and be signing copies of her book,. The book will be for sale by Friends of the Syosset Public Library.
3. Older folks can head to the Syosset Library earlier in the day for "", a Senior peer group discussion that will center on facing some of the challenges of growing older, held with Joyce Tobkes, M.A. No registration is necessary and the program is free.
4. Elementary Schools have a half-day today: Parent teacher conferences take place between 12:45 - 3:15 p.m.
5. Grab a bite to eat or head down for happy hour at Other options include , , and
Also, don't forget: The Syosset Chamber of Commerce is this Sunday at 4 p.m. ! The Syosset Chamber of Commerce will be collecting new, unwrapped toys for the 2010 US Marine Corp campaign at this year's Holiday Lighting Spectacular on Sunday from 4p.m. to 7 p.m., so get your toys ready!