You don't have to destroy your diet over the holiday season. You can eat, drink, indulge and enjoy yourself and still stay on the healthy track. Here are some helpful tips to stay healthy through the holiday season, while still digging into those delicious treats!
1. If you are hosting a dinner or a party, make sure to have healthy dishes to be served. For example: Serve fresh shrimp with cocktail sauce on the side. Serve grilled vegetables as a side. Make crackers whole grain crackers for that cheese and cracker platter. Serve fresh fruit for a dessert option. There are also healthy dessert options that are sweet and delicious and won't break your diet, such as pudding and jello. Put some cool whip on top and its mighty delicious!
2. If you are a guest at a party, have a snack before the party. Munch on a handful of nuts or an apple beforehand. Snacks high in fiber and protein will keep you satisfied and you will be less likely to eat as many appetizers at the party.
3. Fill up on protein and have a little bit of the sides. Protein, such as chicken, fish, pork, turkey, etc, will keep you full and satisfied and you can still enjoy your favorite sides but in smaller portions.
4. Drink if you want to, but remember that it's just added/empty calories. Keep the drinking to a minimum, or pick a drink lower in calories that is more figure friendly.
4. Don't slack on your exercise. Just because its holiday season doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to exercise. In fact, it may be fun to take a walk after dinner with your loved ones and look at all the decorations.
5. Start your New Years resolutions before New Years. Why wait till New Years? A healthier you starts now. Follow these tips to stay on track and be healthier over the holidays, yet still enjoy yourself.