Lengthening String of Local Burglaries and Theft
Nassau police detectives continue to probe a in the northeastern portion of Nassau County, including new burglaries during the first week of November.
A string of burglaries have been reported in recent weeks in Plainview, Hicksville, and Syosset. The most recent reports are listed below.
The Second Precinct reported the following crimes:
- Nov. 2: Grand Larceny; Woodland Gate, Syosset: amplifier/speaker box stolen from auto
- Nov. 2: Petit Larceny; Fox Hollow Inn, Woodbury: cash stolen from auto.
- Nov. 6: Robbery; Gulf Station, Jericho: cash stolen.
- Nov. 4: Burglary; Sullivan Drive, Jericho: window entry; no loss.
- Nov. 4: Burglary; Sexton Drive, Syosset: watch, assorted jewelry stolen.
- Nov. 4: Burglary; Blanche St., Plainview: laptop and cash stolen.
- Nov. 5; Grand larceny; OTB, Plainview; wallet stolen.
- Nov. 5: Grand larceny; Jericho Turnpike, Woodbury, passport, jewelry stolen
- Nov. 6. Criminal mischief; Washington Avenue, Plainview, mailbox smashed.
- Nov. 8; Burglary; Hemlock Dr., Syosset: Cash, gold watches stolen.
- Nov. 8; Grand Larceny; Old Hamlet Dr., Jericho: Unauthorized wire transfers.
- Nov. 1; Burglary; Northern Parkway, Plainview: laptop stolen.
- Oct. 25; Burglary; Manetto Drive, Plainview: watches, rings bracelets stolen.
- Oct. 29; Burglary; Berry Hill Road, Syosset; front door entry, watches, i-pad stolen.
- Oct. 29; Burglary; Harmony Court, Syosset; front door entry; gold watch stolen.
Some of the home invasions in northern Syosset
Police released two young men after reports that shots had been fired in East Massapequa.
Nassau County Police and the Bureau of Special Operations cordoned off a house in East Massapequa after two unnamed males playing with a toy airsoft rifle resulted in a report of shots being fired Friday afternoon, according to officer Maureen Roach of the Nassau County Police's Public Information Office.
Once the weapon in question was determined to be an airsoft rifle and not an actual firearm, the two males were released. No one was arrested or injured.
Airsoft guns are realistic-looking toy pistols and rifles that fire small plastic pellets propelled by air, distinguished from real guns by a distincitive orange nub on the end of the barrel.
Several town parks have been vandalized in the last few weeks.
A large rock was used to damage property in the men’s bathroom at Heckscher Park on Oct. 14. One day later, similar damage was done to the men’s bathroom at Mill Dam Park in Halesite. Then, on the evening of Oct. 24, the men’s and women’s bathrooms at Wolf Hill Park were found to be damaged and graffiti was found in the platground area. On Oct. 29 four sinks and toilets in the women’s restroom in Heckscher Park were hit.