Nassau County and Town of Oyster Bay officials were on hand last week for a dinner to mark the 78-year anniversary of the Hicksville Veterans of Foreign Wars William M. Gouse Jr. Post 3211.
In attendance were Town Councilman Anthony Macagnone, County Executive Ed Mangano, County Legislator Rose Walker and County Legislator Michael Venditto.
Macagnone addressed the veterans, thanking them and the post for continued service to the area's veteran community and to Hicksville's especially.
Macagnone also explained the "Helmets to Hardhats" program, a training program for returning Iraq veterans run by the carpenters union. He highlighted the value of organizations like the VFW for the guidance they offer to service members returning from war zones.
Reminders for the week:
- Registration begins Monday for the TOB Ice Skating Center's Learn to Skate Program Series 4; call 516-797-4126.
- GAP resumes Tuesday.
- The Town Hall South Clerk's Office is open until 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- Golf membership registration begins Wednesday at the Town Golf Course; call 516-677-5980.
- Landscaping and taxi/limo driver licenses expire Thursday.
- Mooring applications are due Friday.
- The TOB Arts Council Talent Competition is Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Mark your calendars:
Town Board Meeting
Where: Town Hall North
When: Tuesday, 10 a.m.
Where: Beach Division Office
When: Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.