“Each year, the Town has the privilege of honoring designated ‘Women of Distinction’ in each of eight categories,” said Councilwoman Michelle Johnson. “Winners will be recognized in March, 2014 in celebration of Women’s History Month.”Nomination forms are available at libraries throughout the town and can be picked up at Town Hall. They can also be downloaded from the town’s website, www.oysterbaytown.com.
The nomination process is open to the public; candidates who were nominated in past years and didn't win are also eligible, Johnson said.
who either live or work in the Town of Oyster Bay may be nominated in
the following categories:
- Arts: Woman who has contributed to the cultural life of the community through theatre, dance, music, art or literature.
- Business: Professional woman in a position as owner, CEO or high-level manager of a business or industry.
- Community and Civic Affairs: A leader, supervisor, administrator, manager or member who has made a contribution to the community.
- Education: A woman educator, administrator or director of a public or private institution of learning who has been outstanding in the field.
- Government: Woman who has made an outstanding contribution to the community through her work in or with local government.
- Health Services: Individual who has made an outstanding contribution in the health services field.
- Humanitarian: An outstanding woman who has made a contribution to the community. This individual may or may not be affiliated with a commercial, professional or non-profit agency or group.
- Volunteer: A woman who has made an outstanding contribution in serving the needs of others.