This past school year featured tons of excitement for the Syosset Braves Athletic Program. Just under two months until a new school year begins, let’s take a look back at some of the best games of 2010-2011:
1. - A 6-1 victory over Half Hollow Hills West on Nov. 1 gave the Braves their second consecutive Long Island title. With first singles player Hanah Camhi on her way back for her senior year, a three-peat this fall wouldn’t shock anyone.
2. - Thanks to a complete game by Tommy Morris, Syosset upset Massapequa 7-2 in the first round. What made the win even sweeter? The Chiefs had swept the Braves in the final series of the regular season.
3. - broke a 40-year-old Syosset High School record in this 44-10 rout on the road.
4. - Sophomore Tim Lafferty scored the game winner, sending Syosset to the playoffs. James Solon had seven saves in the tightly played contest.
5. - The 25-8, 25-14, 25-19 victory gave the Braves a rematch with Plainview JFK in the Nassau Class A semifinals. Although they fell to the Hawks, the win over Herricks showed just how dominant Syosset could be when they were on their game.
6. - man-down goal in the fourth quarter was huge in breaking away from the hard-charging Bruins.
7. - The 19-14 win over East Meadow was a must win for the Braves. Syosset needed a victory to earn a spot in the post season. Ventricelli’s touchdown pass to Chris Park gave the Braves the lead for good. Brett Resnick’s interception with 1:02 left in the game iced the victory.
8. - scored the Braves last two baskets on the exact same play in a 52-51 win. Savarese was also perfect from the free throw line in the win.
9. - The Braves fought back from deficits in all three sets of a 27-25, 25-16, 25-21 win in their final road match of the season. Dana Aronowitz served nine consecutive points in the first set.
10. - Mohammed Kassamali scored 16 points in a 69-61 win over Oceanside at Syosset High School. Syosset coach Bobby Kopp called it one of the biggest wins in his Braves coaching career.